Shallowford’s annual budget, as approved by Session, balances pledges and other income to our ministry costs.
2020 Shallowford Presbyterian Church Budget
2019 Financial Information through December
2018 Financial Information through December
2017 Financial Information through December
2016 Financial Information through December
Through Realm, our online member directory, members have access to the church directory, upcoming events, committee conversations, and can track online giving! Thanks to Realm, staff, church members, and leaders are able to connect with, and share, what’s going on at Shallowford at anytime.
Need to Set Up an Account?
Email [email protected] to set-up your account, or call the church office (404-321-1822) to speaking with a staff member over the phone.
Download Church Directory
If you are a member of Shallowford and would like access to the directory, please email [email protected] with the following information: first name, last name, date of birth. A member on the church staff will assist you.
Our dedicated and talented flower guild creates beautiful arrangements each week in the sanctuary and around the facility. Honor a loved one by signing up to sponsor an arrangement for Sunday worship. Your $80 donation will go to the flower guild. If you prefer to order over the phone, please call the church office.
Your financial gifts to Shallowford provides life-changing worship and congregational care, opportunities for all ages to learn and grow in faith, and mission ministries that are transforming our community and the world. Stewardship comes in all shapes and sizes. Whether you choose to give back through the offering plate, through your annual pledge, or by making an additional one-time gift, we thank you!
Meals for Members
Signup to prepare a meal for a Shallowford family in need! Whether someone is welcoming a new child or is in need of our assistance during a difficult time, the Shallowford congregation is always willing to give to those in need. To sign up, visit Take Them a Meal, search the person’s Last Name, and enter the password spc.
The following member(s) are in need of meals:
If you have questions regarding meals, or would like to receive notifications when a new member has been added to the list, please contact Lyn Bishop.
Each week, Shallowford members pray for one another, as well as friends of the church. Whether you need prayers for healing, are grieving the loss of a loved one, or are celebrating new life, you can count on the Shallowford congregation to keep you in its thoughts and prayers. To submit a prayer request, please call the church office (404-321-1844).
What Does it Mean to Serve on Session?
The Session is the governing board of each individual Presbyterian church. Here at Shallowford, our Session consists of 25 elders (or leaders) to govern the 12 active committees that makeup Shallowford Presbyterian Church (committees listed below). To become an elder, you commit to serve a three-year term on Shallowford’s Session. At Shallowford, Elders come in all shapes, sizes, and ages. The word Elder has nothing to do with a person’s age. Session includes a balance of women and men whose ages range widely from 17 to 78, including a Youth Elder who serves a one-year term.
- Approved the December 2019 membership report, totaling 984 active members.
- Approved the Session appointing Barton McMillan, Eero Maki, Bob Smithers and Robby Robinson to serve as the elder commissioners to the stated meeting of the Presbytery on February 8, 2020.
- Approved the minutes from the Stated Session Meeting on December 15, 2019 and the Called Session Meeting to Receive New Members on December 15, 2019.
- Reviewed the December 2019 preliminary financial results, which reflected operating income of $160,900, which was $56,572 under budget, and operating expense of $163,879, which was $16,927 under budget. Net expense for the month, including Special Offerings, was $11,171, which was $47,837 under budget. Available cash at the end of December was $14,839, which reflects our $100,000 payable on the line of credit. November and December 2019 pledge income were above the committee’s projections, resulting in higher than expected full year 2019 income. In addition, year-to-date expenses were below budget. We expect our final net loss for 2019 to be between $40,000 and $50,000, compared to the conservatively forecasted net loss of $90,000.
- Approved the renewal of the contract for the Rev. Laura Jernigan to continue to serve on average 20 hours per week as Contract Call Associate Pastor in the role of Parish Associate, Congregational Care.
- Approved the installation of 2 ruling elders and 1 board member appointed by the Facilities Committee to the SPS Board.
- Approved the creation of a task force be created to work with SPS to develop an operating agreement, within the spirit of the Covenant, to define the business relationship between SPS and SPC. The document shall be completed and approved by June 30, 2020 to coincide with the June 30 date noted in the Covenant included in SAF 2019.12, Amended, Exhibit B.
- Approved the Session authorizing a third party financial consultant to develop a cost study, report and financial model for SPC accounting for all costs associated with SPS (K-8). Based on the results of the compilation, the consultant will determine direct, indirect and allocated costs attributable to SPS. This analysis will then be used to develop on-going reporting of financial records so that costs can easily be identified, explained and updated. Total cost of the financial compilation not to exceed $7,000 and to be evenly split between SPC and SPS. Such compilation shall be concluded by a targeted date of May 30, 2020 to allow SPS to include the results in its 2020-2021 budget.
- Approved authorizing the expansion of Shallowford Presbyterian School (the School) to add grades 6-8, and use by the School of 2 additional rooms on the third floor of the education building for such purposes, in accordance with the recommendation of the School’s Expansion Team, as approved by the School’s Board of Directors and to adopt the Covenant Between Shallowford Presbyterian Church and Shallowford Presbyterian School, as approved by the School’s Board of Directors.
- Approved the November 2019 membership report, totaling 976 active members.
- Approved the minutes from November 17, 2019 with correction to the Finance report.
- Approved a fundraiser to raise money for the Children’s Choir Montreat Music & Worship trip (June 21-27).
- Approved that Session call a Congregational Meeting on February 16, 2020 immediately following 11am worship to approve changes to the Terms of Call for the Associate Pastor for Mission & Discipleship, and Associate Pastor, Youth & Programs.
- Approved the endorsement of Nell Herring’s application to be enrolled as a Candidate as she seeks ordination in the PC(USA).
- Approved the Shallowford Session appointing a task force to explore a deeper partnership with the Zo Presbyterian Church. The Task Force should be composed of a least one member from the Mission, Christian Education, and Worship Committees, with the Associate Pastor for Mission & Discipleship serving as its staff liaison.
- Reviewed the November 2019 financial results, which reflected operating income of $190,516, which was $24,221 over budget, and operating expense of $180,198, which was $29,514 over budget. Net income for the month, including Special Offerings, was $11,927, which was $3,684 under budget. Available cash at the end of November was $6,788, which reflects our $100,000 payable on the line of credit.
- Approved the 2020 detailed budget in the amount of $1,846,800.
- Approved the expansion of Shallowford Presbyterian School (the School) to add grades 6-8, and use by the School of two additional rooms on the third floor of the education building for such purposes, in accordance with the recommendation of the School’s Expansion Team, as approved by the School’s Board of Directors.
- Approved the October 2019 membership report, totaling 978 active members.
- Approved the baptism of the daughter of Sara and Cam Simonds, for December 15, 2019, during the Service for the Lord’s Day.
- Approved minutes from the October 16, 2019 Stated Session meeting.
- Approved receiving an offering during the December 3, 2019 and December 4, 2019 SPW Advent services to support Presbyterian Homes of Georgia.
- Approved communion during Rachel Breyer’s ordination service on December 8, 2019.
- Approved a love offering during Rachel Breyer’s ordination service on December 8, 2019 in the chapel. As is the tradition in the Presbytery of Greater Atlanta, the offering will go to the Committee on Preparation for Ministry’s Scholarship Fund for inquirers and candidates.
- Reviewed the October 2019 financial results, which reflected operating income of $212,360, which was $47,167 over budget, and operating expense of $184,655, which was $32,724 over budget. Net income for the month, including Special Offerings, was $212,410, which was $46,996 over budget. Available cash at the end of October was ($5,237), which reflects our $100,000 payable on the line of credit. Courtney also shared preliminary 2020 budget numbers, which reflect a $152,500 reduction in income and an $11,085 increase in committee expenses plus a $60,000 increase in expense for partial repayment of the line of credit. Committee chairs were asked to review their budgets again and submit any changes to Magalie Nemorin and Nancy Phillimore by November 26.
- Approved that the Session ask the School Task Force, in consultation with others they want to involve, bring a recommendation of how incremental, variable, and allocations costs be split between the Shallowford Presbyterian School and Shallowford Presbyterian Church.