Approved minutes from Stated Session Meeting, January 20, 2021
Approve January 2021 New Membership Report indicating 1005 Active Members
Ministry Spotlight – Congregational Care
Rev. Laura Jernigan provided an update on the Congregational Care ministry of Shallowford. Laura described her role of Pastoral Care for the congregation in assisting the Senior pastor with pastoral care of congregation members, through phone calls, visits (when possible) and assigning care needs to other pastors as needed. Laura works hand-in-hand with the Congregational Care Committee whose mission is to share God’s love with our congregation and community through ministries of care, compassion, support and cultivation of relationship. Here are eight different components of the committee’s ministry:
- Support Groups – Two support groups exist within the ministry:
- Alzheimer’s Support Group for caregivers and loved ones of anyone with any form of dementia.
- Grief Support Group (GriefShare) provides (2) 13 week sessions annually with curriculum, video and discussion.
- Bereavement Committee – Provide comfort to families after memorial services, and follow up with families on the first anniversary of a loved one’s death.
- Care Ministers – Build friendships with homebound members or those with special needs.
- Communion at Home – Share sacrament of Lord’s Supper with our homebound members using the concept of “the farthest pew.”
- Prayer Shawl Ministry – Pray, craft and give shawls to members who are sick, grieving or suffering a crisis. Shawls are given in person or mailed as requested by pastors or members.
- Take Them a Meal – Provide and deliver meals for families with new babies and those who are sick, recovering from surgery, or have other needs.
- Prayer Network –Pray for every member of the congregation on a regular basis with a letter sent directly to each member.
- Road Runners / Senior Adult Fellowship – The purpose of this group is to provide opportunities for fun, fellowship and friendship through trips outings and other gatherings within our senior adult community.
There are between 20 and 40 church members who regularly participate in each of these committees.
The January 2021 financial results reflect operating income of $200,953, which was $25,585 over budget, and operating expense of $116,008, which was $38,877 under budget. Net gain for the month was $89,946, which was $69,463 over budget. Available cash at the end of January was $337,650.
COVID-19 Task Force Report
While the number of Covid cases remains high, the metrics have been improving since the spikes seen in January. The Task Force will continue to monitor the CDC recommendations and will update the congregation on new initiatives as warranted.
Worship Update: Lent, Holy Week and Easter plans
There will be numerous opportunities for worship and connection during the Lenten Season.
- Drive-in Sunday services, live streamed services, special services for Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and Easter
- Virtual Opportunities – Learning Forgiveness (Weekly Bible Study), Listen in Lent (Weekly Music Sharing), Loving Kindness: Anti-Racism Training (Weekly Training)
- We have invited the whole congregation to join in folding origami cranes which create an art installation in our Sanctuary for Easter
Approved Session Action Forms (SAFs)
- Approve 2020 Annual Statistical Report
- Call Congregational Meeting for April 18, 2021 for purpose of electing Elders and Representative Nominating Committee
- Establish a Steering Committee to explore a Sustainable Internship Program at Shallowford