Shallowford’s annual budget, as approved by Session, balances pledges and other income to our ministry costs.
2020 Shallowford Presbyterian Church Budget
2019 Financial Information through December
2018 Financial Information through December
2017 Financial Information through December
2016 Financial Information through December
Through Realm, our online member directory, members have access to the church directory, upcoming events, and committee conversations, and can also track online giving! Thanks to Realm, staff, church members, and leaders are able to connect with, and share, what’s going on at Shallowford at any time.
Need to Set up an Account?
Email [email protected] to set up your account, or call the church office (404-321-1822) to speak with a staff member over the phone.
Download Church Directory
If you are a member of Shallowford and would like access to the directory, please email [email protected] with the following information: first name, last name, date of birth. A member of the church staff will assist you.
Our dedicated and talented flower guild creates beautiful arrangements each week in the sanctuary and around the facility. Honor a loved one by signing up to sponsor an arrangement for Sunday worship. Your $80 donation will go to the flower guild. If you prefer to order over the phone, please call the church office.
Meals for Members
Sign up to prepare a meal for a Shallowford family in need! Whether someone is welcoming a new child or is in need of our assistance during a difficult time, the Shallowford congregation is always willing to give to those in need. To sign up, visit Take Them a Meal, search the person’s last name, and enter the password spc.
No meals have been requested at this time.
If you have questions regarding meals, or would like to receive notifications when a new member has been added to the list, please contact Lyn Bishop.
Each week, Shallowford members pray for one another, as well as for friends of the church. Whether you need prayers for healing, are grieving the loss of a loved one, or are celebrating new life, you can count on the Shallowford congregation to keep you in its thoughts and prayers. To submit a prayer request, please call the church office (404-321-1844).
What Does It Mean to Serve on Session?
The Session is the governing board of each individual Presbyterian church. Here at Shallowford, our Session consists of 25 elders (or leaders) to govern the 12 active committees that make up Shallowford Presbyterian Church (committees listed below). To become an elder, you commit to serve a three-year term on Shallowford’s Session. At Shallowford, elders come in all shapes, sizes, and ages. The word elder has nothing to do with a person’s age. Session includes a balance of women and men whose ages range widely from 17 to 78, including a youth elder who serves a one-year term.
- Approved the minutes from the Stated Session Meeting, May 20, 2020 and the Called Session Meeting to Receive New Members, May 17, 2020.
- Approved the May 2020 membership report, totaling 989 active members.
- Appointed elder commissioners to the virtual stated meeting of the Presbytery on August 15, 2020.
- Reviewed the May 2020 financial results, which reflected operating income of $265,016, which was $118,039 over budget, and operating expense of $145,439, which was $3,110 over budget. The increase in income versus budget was primarily attributable to proceeds from the Payroll Protection Plan Loan. Net income for the month, including Special Offerings, was $120,515. Available cash at the end of May was $337,089 with $11,320 outstanding on the line of credit (a pledge to pay this off has been received).
- The status of the Paycheck Protection loan (PPP) which Shallowford received through the CARES Act: In May, Shallowford received $329,400 to be used for reimbursable expenses during the eight-week period. On June 15, Congress extended the PPP from eight weeks to 24 weeks. We anticipate we will be able to use 100% of the loan and it will all be forgiven.
- Based on annualized income and expenses, the Finance Committee is forecasting income of approximately $96,000 at year end, primarily due to the PPP loan and generosity of church members.
- Approved the job description for the Shallowford COVID-19 Task Force.
- Approved a Stage-by-Stage Approach to Returning to Shallowford’s Campus, as recommended by the COVID-19 Task Force.
- Approved that Shallowford be placed into Stage 1 of the Stage-by-Stage Return Plan (Staff and Food Pantry allowed only.)
- Approved that Shallowford Session will meet in July.
- Meredith Moseley shared that the School has delayed adding 6th grade for the 2020-21 school year. They are working on plans for what school will look like in the fall. These plans are being shared with the COVID-19 Task Force.
- Approved the minutes from the Stated Session Meeting on April 19, 2020.
- Approved the April 2020 membership report, totaling 973 active members.
- Approve the request of Weiping Qiu Blair (Cat) to transfer her membership to Holy Transfiguration Greek Orthodox Church.
- Approved the revised March 2020 membership report, totaling 975 active members.
- Reviewed the April 2020 financial results, which reflected operating income of $149,819, which was $18,841 under budget, and operating expense of $141,451, which was $12,499 under budget. Net income for the month was $8,618. Available cash at the end of April was $214,974 with $12,920 outstanding on the line of credit (Rev. Traynham later reported that Shallowford received a gift which has paid off the line of credit balance). Year-to-date our net income was $138,581, which was $107,202 over budget. So, though we didn’t do well in April against projected total, we are still ahead year-to-date.
- Courtney then went on to review the terms of the Paycheck Protection loan (PPP) which Shallowford received from the Small Business Administration through the CARES Act. In May, Shallowford received $329,400. The loan will offset approximately $280,000 in expenses incurred in the eight-week period, including $89,705 in school payroll expenses, $168,403 in church payroll expenses, and $20,245 in mortgage interest and utilities. The remaining approximately $51,046 of loan proceeds can be used to prepay the remaining loan balance. These are estimates at this time.
- The final document reviewed was the financial forecast, prepared by Nancy Phillimore. Based on the April forecast, the Finance Committee is projecting a deficit of $100,000. This does not take into account the money received through the Paycheck Protection loan but helps justify the PPP need and our confidence that it will be forgiven.
- Approved Shallowford’s Session supporting the COVID-19 Task Force’s recommendation that the church not gather in-person in June or July.
- Approved the attached Communion dates for August – December 2020 (a correction was made to reflect that November 8 is a Sunday and not Thursday).
- Approved the Session calling a Congregational Meeting on Sunday, June 14, 2020, at noon via Zoom for the purpose of electing elders and electing a Representative Nominating Committee.
- Approved a special offering on Pentecost Sunday (May 31, 2020) and an online Broadway Musical Fundraiser (date TBD, likely late June) to support our neighbors most severely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The funds raised would be split as follows: 25% each to Shalom International Ministry, Memorial Drive Ministries, Zo Presbyterian church and Shallowford’s Compassion Fund.
- Approved funding for equipment required to live stream services from the Sanctuary to allow our members at home to participate with us.
- Approved the Session authorizing the finance committee to apply for a forgivable loan through
the Paycheck Protection Program.
- Approved appointing Chuck Achuff, Julie Burkhard, Sara Simonds, and Cathy Palmer to serve as
the elder commissioners to the virtual stated meeting of the Presbytery on May 9, 2020.
- Approved the minutes from the Stated Session Meeting on March 18, 2020, and the Called
Session Meeting on April 3, 2020.
- Approved the March 2020 membership report, totaling 974 active members.
- Approved the request of Carol Bell to transfer her membership to Roney’s Point United Presbyterian Church.
- Rev. Traynham reported that the loan application through the Paycheck Protection Program was
approved and Shallowford will receive $329,400. We should learn in the next couple of days
when we will receive the money.
- Courtney Boyd, on behalf of the Finance Committee, reported on the March 2020 financial
results, which reflected operating income of $191,743, which was $28,164 over budget, and
operating expense of $134,283, which was $28,224 under budget. Net income for the month,
including Special Offerings, was $57,460, which was $56,388 over budget.
- Shallowford will continue to monitor the CDC guidelines and state and local authority
recommendations (refer to www.coronavirus.gov) and how these inform Shallowford’s plan for
reopening. The Task Force unanimously agreed to follow the CDC, state, and local authority’s
Shelter-in-Place guidelines beyond the May 11, 2020, date originally approved by Session in
March. In the next few days, communication will be sent to the congregation that Shallowford
will remain closed to in-person gatherings until further notice.
- Approved virtual communion on Sunday, May 10, 2020.
- Because of the pandemic, the RNC has approved that the timeline for a congregational meeting to
approve the slate of elders, followed by training and installation, be postponed. As a result, the
Class of 2020 elders and committee chairs have been asked to remain in their roles until such
time as the transition of new elders can take place. This will be revisited next month.