Shallowford has a long history of service in the name of Christ to our surrounding community and the world beyond. We strongly encourage all members of the church to find some way to put their faith to work in the service of others. Through the generosity of the Shallowford congregation’s stewardship, the church supports a number of significant ministries throughout the world to ease human suffering and help ensure a brighter future for our sisters and brothers in Christ.
Decatur Cooperative Ministry
Decatur Cooperative Ministry (DCM) is a cooperative church ministry that helps families prevent, endure, and overcome homelessness.
- Volunteer: www.decaturcooperativeministry.org/html/volunteer.php
- Contact: Marilyn Goggins
- Donate: www.decaturcooperativeministry.org/html/donate.php
- Information: www.decaturcooperativeministry.org
Habitat for Hummanity
Shallowford contributes labor and financial support to building houses through Habitat for Humanity each spring.
- Volunteer: Donate labor or lunches
- Contact: Don Burkhard
- Donate: www.habitat.org
- Information: www.habitat.org; www.shallowford.org/habitat-house-project
Through LaGonave Haiti Partnership, Shallowford works with the people of LaGonave and others to improve education, healthcare, and economic development on this island of Haiti.
- Volunteer: Our upcoming mission trips are scheduled for November 12-19, 2018 · April 11-18, 2019 · October 10-17, 2019
- Contact: Catherine Foster
- Donate: lagonavepartners.kindful.com
- Information: lagonavepartners.org
Through La Amistad, which simply means “the friendship,” Shallowford members tutor Latino children from our local elementary school twice a week. La Amistad also offers ESL classes at Shallowford two evenings a week.
- Volunteer: Tutor Mondays or Thursdays from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm
- Contact: Hugh Stoddard
- Donate: www.laamistadinc.org/Giving
- Information: www.laamistadinc.org
Memorial Drive Ministries
Through Shallowford, we are able to cultivate diverse worship communities, innovative social services, and transformation relationships in the greater Clarkston community.
- Volunteer: www.memorialdriveministries.org/volunteer
- Contact: Catherine Foster
- Donate: www.memorialdriveministries.org/support/Giving
- Information: www.memorialdriveministries.org
NETWorks Cooperative Ministry
NETWorks is a cooperative church ministry that seeks to respond to the food and financial needs of area residents and to partner with them to find long-term solutions to poverty.
- Volunteer: www.networkscoop.org/volunteer-at-networks
- Contact: Nancy Phillimore
- Donate: www.networkscoop.org/donate
- Information: www.networkscoop.org
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance enables congregations and mission partners of PC(USA) to witness the healing love of Christ through caring for communities affected by crisis and catastrophic events.
Shallowford Food Pantry
The Food Pantry provides temporary or emergency food assistance to residents of DeKalb County in need.
- Volunteer: Bag groceries or serve clients
- Contact: Bobbie Pope
- Donate: Canned goods and other staples, Food Pantry Flyer
- Information: www.shallowford.org/food-pantry , open Tuesdays through Thursdays, 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
Shalom International Ministries
Shalom International Ministries seeks the shalom of the Clarkston community by being the church through responding to the social, economic, educational, physical, emotional and spiritual needs of refugees and immigrants. Through New Church Development Commission (https://www.facebook.com/
- Information: www.shalominternationalministry.com
Thornwell Home for Children
Thornwell provides safe and loving homes for children through family style residential care and foster care families, as well as educational and counseling programs to prevent their need.