Jesus said that where we choose to invest our resources is the best indication of our top priorities (Matthew 6:21). Putting God first is often easier in theory than in practice. That’s why we’ve chosen it as this year’s stewardship theme.
Each October, we set some time aside as a congregation to reflect on the journey of faith andministry that we share. We celebrate all that God is doing through Shallowford and we commit ourselves to active participation in that work as we plan for year ahead.
This October, I hope that you will prayerfully consider our invitation to commit ourselves to determine how we can make giving a priority. In the church, pledging is planning. Our generosity makes all the ministry and mission that we share possible.
It is a significant time in the life of our church. We have seen tremendous growth in recent years and are a thriving congregation of well over 1000 members. As we look to the future, we must expand our staff capacity in the area of music ministries; we must care for our newly- renovated facilities in strategic and forward-looking ways; we must continue to encourage and enable growth so that we can live out our mission statement of inviting all people to a faithful way of life in Christ and in community.
In another significant time Joshua, the leader of the Israelite tribes and Moses’ successor, stood before the people of God and made a bold call to action and statement of faith: “Choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” This is our call at Shallowford as we prepare for 2018—to put God first as we journey forward in community!
How Shallowford is putting God First
- Worshipping God through weekly services as well as new worship opportunities like our Maundy Thursday in-home communion gatherings.
- Growing Deeper Together through small group opportunities, weekly classes for study and fellowship, retreats, community programs, and Wednesday evening presentations invite us all to spiritual growth and friendship.
- Making a Joyful Noise through our music ministries – a source of joy, meaning, faith development, and community-building for all in the Shallowford community.
- Serving Neighbors in Need and the World through vital partnerships with mission organizations nearby and around the globe.
- Supporting Families by investing in the next generation. The vision we share is that each student in our congregation is blessed with five adults who know and love them.
- Caring for One Another through ministries of congregational care and compassion we minister to one another in times of need and rejoice with one another in times of celebration.