What Does it Mean to Serve on Session?
The Session is the governing board of each individual church. Here at Shallowford, our session consists of 12 elders (or leaders) to govern the 12 active committees that makeup Shallowford Presbyterian Church (committees listed below). To become an elder, you must serve a three-year term on Shallowford’s Session. At Shallowford, Elders come in all shapes, sizes and ages. The term Elder has nothing to do with a person’s age. Session includes a balance of women and men whose ages range widely from 17 to 78. Shallowford also has a Youth Elder.
Session Meeting Highlights
- Approved the February 2019 membership report, totaling 1,059 active members.
- Approved the baptism of the sons of Kim and Andrew Tashiro.
- Reviewed February 2019 financial results, which reflected operating income of $125,212 ($27,368 under budget) and operating expense of $159,500 ($8,885 under budget). Net expense for the month, including Special Offerings, was $34,287 ($18,481 unfavorable to budget). Committee spending continues to be on hold for the foreseeable future.
- Received the 2018 year-end report on the Support and Endowment Funds, totaling $1,960,048.
- Called a Congregational Meeting on Sunday, April 14, 2019, to elect elders and a Representative Nominating Committee.
- Received a request from Shallowford Presbyterian School to add grades 6-8. In April, the session authorized the formation of a task force to further study this proposal.
- Approved the March 2019 membership report, totaling 1,056 active members.
- Elected Amy Caldwell and Rob Pope as elder commissioners to the stated meeting of the Presbytery on May 4, 2019.
- Reviewed the March 2019 financial results, which reflected operating income of $162,235 ($4,828 under budget) and operating expense of $142,316 ($16,505 under budget). Net income for the month, including Special Offerings, was $21,895 ($13,653 over budget). The Finance Committee requested that Committee Chairs continue to defer any discretionary spending or delay to 2020, if possible.
- Heard reports from Amanda Burns Kemery, Rachel Breyer, and Nell Herring, church members who are seeking ordination in the PCUSA.
- Approved an offering to support the Chapel Choir tour at their Homecoming Concert on June 16.
- Approved having one Sunday worship service from July 7 through July 28 at 10 a.m. in the Sanctuary.