What Does it Mean to Serve on Session?
The Session is the governing board of each individual church. Here at Shallowford, our session consists of 12 elders (or leaders) to govern the 12 active committees that makeup Shallowford Presbyterian Church (committees listed below). To become an elder, you must serve a three-year term on Shallowford’s Session. At Shallowford, Elders come in all shapes, sizes and ages. The term Elder has nothing to do with a person’s age. Session includes a balance of women and men whose ages range widely from 17 to 78. Shallowford also has a Youth Elder.
“We need Elders who are active participants in worship and the life of Shallowford, enthusiastic about its future and willing to serve and provide strong leadership in an area of ministry.” “I think it’s good for the church to seek a balance of women and men and a range of ages that reflect the membership of the church.” – Rev. Christopher A. Henry
Key Actions from June 2018 Session Meeting
- Received the May 2018 membership report, totaling 1,066 active members.
- Elected C.J. Drymon as Clerk of Session and Steve McCullough as Treasurer for 2018-2019.
- Approved Elder Committee Assignments for 2018-2019.
- Reviewed the May 2018 financial results, showing operating income $43,203 under budget and operating expense $3,886 under budget. Net expense for the month, including Special Offerings, was $61,559 ($36,447 under budget).
- Heard updates from the Transition Team and Interim Pastor Nominating Committee (IPNC). Phase 1 of the Senior Pastor Search process is complete and Phase 2 is on track with a plan to have an Interim Pastor in place by early September.