What Does it Mean to Serve on Session?
The Session is the governing board of each individual church. Here at Shallowford, our session consists of 12 elders (or leaders) to govern the 12 active committees that makeup Shallowford Presbyterian Church (committees listed below). To become an elder, you must serve a three-year term on Shallowford’s Session. At Shallowford, Elders come in all shapes, sizes and ages. The term Elder has nothing to do with a person’s age. Session includes a balance of women and men whose ages range widely from 17 to 78. Shallowford also has a Youth Elder.
Key Actions from February 2019 Session Meeting
- Approved the January 2019 membership report, totaling 1,063 active members.
- Approved the membership transfer of Milton and Mary Crosswy to First UMC in Greensboro, GA.
- Approved an addendum to the financial portion of the 2018 Annual Statistical Report.
- Reviewed the final 2018 financial results, which including Special Offerings, reflected operating income of $1,832,083 ($83,416 under budget) and operating expense of $1,857,940 ($57,560 under budget). Net expense for the year was $25,857.
- Reviewed January 2019 financial results, reflecting operating income of $163,510 ($32,341 under budget) and operating expense of $125,682 ($46,872 under budget). Net income for the month, including Special Offerings, was $37,828 ($14,531 over budget).
- The Pastor Nominating Committee has posted Shallowford Presbyterian Church’s Ministry Information Form (MIF) on the CLC website and has begun reviewing Pastor Information Forms (PIF) received.
- The Church in Atlanta Task Force had no information to add to last month’s report.
- Approved a free will offering at the March 5, 2019 Stetson University Choir Concert to help defray costs of the choir’s tour.
- Reviewed proposed Terms of Call for Rev. Catherine Foster, in advance of the congregational meeting on February 24, 2019.