What Does it Mean to Serve on Session?
The Session is the governing board of each individual church. Here at Shallowford, our session consists of 12 elders (or leaders) to govern the 12 active committees that makeup Shallowford Presbyterian Church (committees listed below). To become an elder, you must serve a three-year term on Shallowford’s Session. At Shallowford, Elders come in all shapes, sizes and ages. The term Elder has nothing to do with a person’s age. Session includes a balance of women and men whose ages range widely from 17 to 78. Shallowford also has a Youth Elder.
“We need Elders who are active participants in worship and the life of Shallowford, enthusiastic about its future and willing to serve and provide strong leadership in an area of ministry.” “I think it’s good for the church to seek a balance of women and men and a range of ages that reflect the membership of the church.” – Rev. Christopher A. Henry
Key Actions from December 17, 2017 Session Meeting
- Approved the November membership report, totaling 1,035 active members.
- The Finance Committee reported the November 2017 financial results, which reflected operating income of $148,504, which was $20,681 over budget, and operating expense of $149,492, which was $1,214 over budget. Net income for the month, including Special Offerings, was $49, which was $20,504 over budget. Available cash at the end of November was $72,774.
- The Session approved the 2018 Detailed Budget in the amount of $1,893,500, and
- The Session approved allocating remaining funds in 2017 above $50,000 to the Facilities Fund, Mission Forward Fund, and Organ Maintenance Fund.
- Approved the baptisms of the infant daughter of Kristen and Brock Owen, on January 7, 2018; the infant daughter of Maggie and Andrew Galbraith, on January 21, 2018; and the infant daughter of Nicole and Tony LaJoe, on February 25, 2018.
- Approved the reception of seventeen new members.