What Does it Mean to Serve on Session?
The Session is the governing board of each individual church. Here at Shallowford, our session consists of 12 elders (or leaders) to govern the 12 active committees that makeup Shallowford Presbyterian Church (committees listed below). To become an elder, you must serve a three-year term on Shallowford’s Session. At Shallowford, Elders come in all shapes, sizes and ages. The term Elder has nothing to do with a person’s age. Session includes a balance of women and men whose ages range widely from 17 to 78. Shallowford also has a Youth Elder.
“We need Elders who are active participants in worship and the life of Shallowford, enthusiastic about its future and willing to serve and provide strong leadership in an area of ministry.” “I think it’s good for the church to seek a balance of women and men and a range of ages that reflect the membership of the church.” – Rev. Christopher A. Henry
Key Actions from April, 15 2018 Session Meeting
- Received the April 2018 membership report, totaling 1,068 active members.
- Approved the baptism of Hudson Davis Scaglione Poelzer, the son of Sorrell Scaglione-Poelzer and Steve Poelzer.
- Heard the faith statements of 20 confirmands and received them into membership.
- Called a Congregational Meeting on April 22, 2018 at which the congregation elected nine members to serve on the Session.
- Elected members to serve on the Representative Nominating Committee.
- Requested the presbytery dissolve the pastoral relationship between Shallowford and Chris Henry.
- Appointed a Transition Team to serve until we welcome a new Senior pastor.
- Appointed IPNC to search for SPC’s Interim Pastor.
- Received Personnel’s report on leveraging church leadership until we have an Interim Pastor. Rev. Catherine Foster will be Acting Head of Staff and Moderate the session. Rev. Laura Jernigan will assist with worship planning, adult Sunday school, and expanded pastoral care.