What Does it Mean to Serve on Session?
The Session is the governing board of each individual church. Here at Shallowford, our session consists of 12 elders (or leaders) to govern the 12 active committees that makeup Shallowford Presbyterian Church (committees listed below). To become an elder, you must serve a three-year term on Shallowford’s Session. At Shallowford, Elders come in all shapes, sizes and ages. The term Elder has nothing to do with a person’s age. Session includes a balance of women and men whose ages range widely from 17 to 78. Shallowford also has a Youth Elder.
“We need Elders who are active participants in worship and the life of Shallowford, enthusiastic about its future and willing to serve and provide strong leadership in an area of ministry.” “I think it’s good for the church to seek a balance of women and men and a range of ages that reflect the membership of the church.” – Rev. Christopher A. Henry
Key Actions from March 2018 Session Meeting
- Approved the February membership report, totaling 1049 active members.
- Received the February financial results, which reflected operating income of $120,093, which was $25,814 under budget, and operating expense of $153,623, which was $13,413 under budget. Net expense for the month, including Special Offerings, was $33,520, which was $12,391 over budgeted net expense. Available cash at the end of February was $154,037.
- Endorsed Amanda Burns Kemery to enroll as a Candidate in the ordination process and endorsed Nell Herring to enroll as an Inquirer in the ordination process.
- Received a report from Rachel Breyer on her experiences as an Inquirer.
- Called a Congregational Meeting on April 22 to elect elders and a Representative Nominating Committee.